Harvest Ice Cream Sundae
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 T vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups fresh sweet potato puree*
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- ½ T whole cloves
- 1 T orange zest
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 4 oz cream cheese
Maple Brown Sugar Swirl
- ½ stick butter
- ½ cup crumbled pecans
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 3 pieces cooked bacon, crumbled (optional)
White Chocolate Sauce, made by whisking 2 T boiling heavy cream into 5 oz white chocolate with 1 T unsalted butter, to be used immediately. Pralines, or if you don’t have access to pralines, toasted pecans with brown sugar.
- Make sure the bowl of your ice cream maker has been freezing for at least 18 hours before starting this recipe.
- In a large pot, bring the whole milk, heavy cream, cinnamon sticks, and cloves to a boil and let simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and strain out and discard the cinnamon sticks and cloves.
- Whisk the sugar and cream cheese into the milk mixture, until dissolved. You may have a few small chunks of cream cheese left, which is fine. Stir in the bourbon, vanilla, and orange zest.
- Mix in the sweet potato by adding the puree to the pot and using an immersion blender to completely blend all of the ingredients. If you do not have an immersion blender, carefully transfer the ice cream base to a standing blender and add the sweet potato puree, blend until combined.
- Once blended, strain the ice cream base into a heat-proof container and store in the refrigerator for at least 5 hours, or overnight.
- Before churning the ice cream, make the swirl by combining all ingredients in a saucepan and bringing to a boil over medium-high heat. Let simmer until a bit thicker than molasses. Remove from heat and let cool before adding to the ice cream. It may be slightly grainy from the brown sugar, but don’t sweat it, you won’t be able to tell in the finished product.
- Once the ice cream has chilled, follow the instructions on the ice cream maker to churn and freeze the ice cream. When the ice cream is almost done churning, evenly dollop in the brown sugar swirl.
- Remove from the ice cream maker and enjoy as soft serve or freeze for another two or four hours, until firm.
- Top with white chocolate sauce, pralines, toasted pecans, or a cherry, or all four!