Susty x Whole Foods Holiday Collection // Maple & Pumpkin Gingerbread Men
Ever the lover of holiday spirit, I am so excited to debut the exclusive Susty x Whole Foods limited edition holiday collection alongside my recipe for vegan Maple and Pumpkin Gingerbread Men made with pure maple syrup, nourishing pumpkin, and delicate, yet nutty spelt flour.
Susty's eco-friendly holiday tableware patterns are super festive. The Susty x Whole Foods collection provides holiday hosts like myself an easy and environmental way to entertain guests, plus it adds a cheery pop of color to any dessert tablescape!
I particularly love that the 100% recycled cocktail napkins, wood cutlery, and super sturdy plates are biodegradable and certified compostable. All Susty items are made in the USA by non-profit facilities. Get this - every purchase helps create jobs for the blind and visually impaired!
Spelt is an excellent source of manganese, protecting cells from free radical damage, keeping bones strong, maintaining nerve health, and promoting thyroid gland function. Spelt is also high in fiber and contains a good amount of protein.
These light, chewy, and delightfully spicy vegan cookie men are perfect as-is, decorated with a fair amount of gum drop buttons and twizzler smiles, or dunked (head first!) into a fresh glass of cold almond milk
Maple & Pumpkin Gingerbread Men [makes 18 cookies]
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup pure pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup blackstrap molasses
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 ¾ cups whole grain spelt flour
- ¼ cup (1 ½ ounces) crystallized ginger, roughly chopped
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon each: baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, nutmeg & cloves
1. In a large bowl or electric mixer, whisk together maple syrup and pumpkin until well combined. Add molasses and almond milk.
2. Gradually sift in remaining dry ingredients and continue mixing until a stiff dough is formed. Flatten dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for up to 60 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, rack in the middle.
4. On a lightly (spelt) floured surface, roll the dough out to a little less than ¼ inch thick. Cut out your shapes with your favorite cookie cutters (I tend to go with gingerbread men) and use a thin spatula to gently place each on a parchment linked nonstick cookie sheet.
5. Place in oven and bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow cookies to completely cool before icing.
6. Style the cookies on Susty x Whole Foods holiday collection tableware and napkins. Get them while supplies last at Whole Foods locations in the Northeast, North Atlantic, Mid Atlantic, South, Southern Pacific and Pacific Northwest regions.
Nutritional Information [per cookie]
117 Calories, 25g Carbohydrates, .7g Fat, 2.5g Protein, 2.7g Fiber, 9.6g Sugar
-- by Alexandra Dawson, guest blogger and inmybowl.com nutritionist
About Alexandra: Alexandra Dawson is a Washington, DC based wellness warrior, passionate vegan & yogi. An American University graduate with a BA in Neuropsychology, she is currently a post-baccalaureate student, working towards becoming a Registered Dietitian. Alexandra writes a lifestyle and recipe website InMyBowl.com, promoting plant based nutrition, healthful and positive living, and #GoddessVibes. You can also find her on her beautifully impassioned Instagram @TallulahAlexandra.
About Susty Party x Whole Foods limited edition Holiday Collection: This new eco-friendly disposable tableware can be found exclusively at Whole Foods Market in select locations nationwide, including the New York City area, and all stores in the Northeast, North Atlantic, Mid Atlantic, South, Southern Pacific and Pacific Northwest regions. Susty's compostable, non-toxic, made-in-the-USA party tableware can also be purchased on sustyparty.com. New products will be announced on Instagram @SustyParty.