Sweet Potato Chocolate Chunk Waffles + Susty's VDay Collection
Never one to turn down a cozy breakfast in bed - or really anything instilling the slightest hint of snuggling under a wool blanket, we've got a cozy love filled marriage of chocolate for breakfast. This is a recipe for Sweet Potato Chocolate Chunk Waffles served on our pink compostable plates with a side of milk sipped through our pink straws with new heart toppers! The heart toppers are found exclusively at Whole Foods Market in the Northeast and North Atlantic, but you can find the rest of our VDay Collection online.
Made with warming cinnamon and maple, nutty spelt flour, and sweet potatoes, these dare we say healthful(!) chocolaty waffles are perfect for sharing with a special someone for a VDay breakfast spiced up with some Susty style.
Sweet potatoes, known for their deep orange color, are great sources of beta-carotene, a precursor for Vitamin A, which is important for maintaining optimal eyesight, glowing and healthful skin, and aids in wound healing and liver cleansing. We serve these vegan waffles with a cold glass of fresh almond milk, or some almond milk hot cocoa or piping coffee in our pretty in pink compostable Susty cups made by the blind and visually impaired.
Susty’s Valentine’s Collection provides romantically inspired hosts an easy, environmentally friendly, and playfully vibrant way to serve breakfast in bed or woo secret crushes with waffles. Available for the everyday star crossed lover, the Susty’s Valentine’s Collection can be found on sustyparty.com and the pink straws with heart toppers will be found exclusively at Whole Foods Market’s across the North East and North Atlantic!
Sweet Potato Chocolate Chunk Waffles [makes 8 waffles]
2 small sweet potatoes [about 1 pound total], roasted and cooled
2 tablespoons chia seeds
6 tablespoons filtered water
1 ¼ cups almond milk [or nondairy milk of choice]
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 ½ cups spelt flour
2 teaspoons baking power
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ cup coconut oil, melted at room temperature
2 tablespoons coconut sugar
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 bar [2 ½ ounces] dairy free dark chocolate, cut into small chunks
coconut oil spray
1. To roast the potatoes, place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Wrap whole, unpeeled sweet potatoes in foil, place on a rimmed baking sheet and allow potato to bake until fork tender [about 60 minutes]. Remove potato from the oven and allow it to rest until cool enough to handle. Peel the potatoes, discard the peel, and mash well with a fork, set aside. [If you want your waffles NOW or don’t feel like the hubbub of roasting, feel free to microwave sweet potatoes using the ‘potato’ setting on your microwave]
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine chia seeds and filtered water. Additionally, in another small bowl, combine almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Set each aside until chia forms a gelatinized consistency and almond milk is visibly curdled.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together spelt flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, and
cinnamon. Set aside.
4. In another medium bowl, combine coconut oil, coconut sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Whisk in the mashed sweet potato, chia mixture, and almond milk mixture until well combined.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and allow to rest while the waffle iron heats.
5. Thoroughly spray waffle iron with coconut oil spray. Add ½ cup waffle batter and cook
according to your specific waffle iron’s instructions [about 6-7 minutes for crispy waffle
perfection]. Repeat with remaining batter.
Serve & enjoy warm with fresh berries and pure maple syrup.
Nutritional Information [per waffle]
285 Calories, 39g Carbohydrates, 12g Fat, 6g Protein, 7g Fiber, 13g Sugar
About Alexandra: Alexandra Dawson is a Washington, DC based wellness warrior, passionate vegan & yogi. Alexandra is currently a post-baccalaureate student, working towards becoming a Registered Dietitian and writes a lifestyle and recipe website InMyBowl.com, promoting plant based nutrition, healthful and positive living, and #GoddessVibes. You can also find her on her beautifully impassioned Instagram @TallulahAlexandra.