Mandarin Mini Muffins
Take full advantage of all the citrus winter has to offer!
Mandarin Mini Muffins (makes about 30 minis)
Recipe adapted from Cupcakes!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t baking soda
- 1/4 t salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 – 2 t mandarin orange zest
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk*
- 1 t fresh mandrin orange juice
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, melted
* OR place 1 1/2 t lemon juice in a 1/2 cup measuring cup and fill to the top with milk. Allow to sit for 2 minutes. Use in place of buttermilk.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 30-ish mini muffin tin cups with paper liners.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, rub the zest and sugar together until it resembles wet sand. Using an electric mixer on a medium speed, beat the butter into the zesty sugar until smoothly blended and lightened in color, about 1 minute. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until each is blended and batter looks creamy. Mix in the vanilla and orange zest.
- On a low speed, add half of the flour mixture, mixing just to incorporate it. Mix in the buttermilk to blend it. Mix in the remaining flour mixture until it is just incorporated and batter looks smooth. Stir in orange juice.
- Fill each paper liner using a cookie scoop until a little over half-way full. Bake for 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center and comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool completely before drizzling with milk chocolate. Enjoy!